Thursday, July 28, 2016

Sascha Martin's Rocket-Ship

Sascha Martin, child-inventor, brings his fuelled-up, real life rocket to school for show-and-tell. When it launches accidentally, taking Sascha with it, disaster and mayhem engulf the school. An adventure in verse, for children who love their rhymes.


I’ve got this goo on my hands and I can’t put it down anywhere because it'll ... anyway, this is not the best moment for me to be writing. I’m - Oh yuck! Hang on … I’m dictating and my computer’s writing it all down.
Computer, phone Luca Blanco. Hello, Luca? Can you come over? I need another pair of hands. And can you pick up the you-know-what-generator on the way down because I need it like, NOW! Like ten minutes ago! But don’t push any buttons! NO BUTTON PUSHING!!! Or Landfill will be just a stream of gamma rays spewing out into space and who knows how many dimensions -
Hmmm ... News is coming up … Oh, but I’m already taking the Superball. Anyway I’ll see you soon. Make it quick. Bye.
Where was I? About me, yes. Um, I invent things. I go to Landfill Public School. It’s pretty close to where I live. Luca’s my best friend and he’s a neighbour, he lives in my street. He’s the one who’s coming over here now but I guess you got that. Maybe you heard about my rocket-ship adventure? They still talk about it at school. Then there was the Time Machine. I don’t have that anymore.
I’m working on a few things at the moment. The goo, of course. Where IS Luca? And I’m building a White Noise Generator. It’s easy enough to make, but the tricky part is tuning it to a specific person so it only blocks them out. There’s this girl called Mary-Alice Cooper: the three of us are the only kids on Periwinkle Crescent, and Periwinkle Crescent's kind of off by itself in the bush. So Mary-Alice won’t leave us alone and she talks and talks and talks and - well we need something that’s like, she’ll still be talking, but we won’t have to listen to her.
What else can I tell you … Oh Luca! Hooray! Computer, stop dictation!

No comments:

Post a Comment